Windows Administrator L1 Interview Question 3
Windows Administrator L1 Interview Question
45. What is the difference between Dynamic Disk and Basic Disk?
Basic Disk: Basic Disk uses a partition table to manage all partitions on the disk, and it is supported by DOS and all Windows versions. A disk with installed OS would be default initialized to a basic one. A basic disk contains basic volumes, such as primary partitions, extended partition, and all logical partitions are contained in extended partition.
Dynamic Disk: Dynamic Disk is supported in Windows 2000 and later operating system. Dynamic disks do not use a partition table to track all partitions, but use a hidden database (LDM) to track information about dynamic volumes or dynamic partitions on the disk. With dynamic disks you can create volumes that span multiple disks such as spanned and striped volumes, and can also create fault-tolerant volumes such as mirrored volumes and RAID 5 volumes. Compared to a Basic Disk, Dynamic Disk offers greater flexibility.
46. What is maximum Size of file system NTFS and FAT32?
NTFS – 16TB
FAT32 – 4GB
47. What is “hosts” files?
The hosts file is a computer file used in an operating system to map hostnames to IP addresses. The hosts file is a plain-text file and is traditionally named hosts.
48. What is “lmhosts” files?
The lmhosts files are a computer file used in an operating system to map NetBIOS name. It is equivalent that of WINS.
49. Explain About Global Catalog.
global catalog contains a complete replica of all objects in Active Directory for its Host domain, and contains a partial replica of all objects in Active Directory for every other domain in the forest.
50. Name some OU design considerations.
It is used to design an organization structure, Restrict user’s visibility and to delegate control.
51. Name a few benefits of using GPMC.
•GPMC is used to customize group policy.
•It is easy to maintain different OU policy effectively.
•Provide option to take backup and restore group policy.
52. You want to standardize the desktop environments (wallpaper, My Documents, Start menu, printers etc.) on the computers in one department. How would you do that?
Configure Group Policy based on OU.
53. By default, if the name is not found in the cache or local hosts file, what is the first step the client takes to resolve the FQDN name into an IP address?
Create a record in DNS Server
54. You are administering a network connected to the Internet. Your users complain that everything is slow. Preliminary research of the problem indicates that it takes a considerable amount of time to resolve names of resources on the Internet. What is the most likely reason for this?
55. Describe how the DHCP lease is obtained.
It’s a four-step process consisting of (a) IP request, (b) IP offer, (c) IP selection and (d) acknowledgement.
56. I can’t seem to access the Internet, don’t have any access to the corporate network and on ipconfig my address is 169.254.*.*. What happened?
The 169.254.*.* netmask is assigned to Windows machines running 98/2000/XP if the DHCP server is not available. The name for the technology is APIPA (Automatic Private Internet Protocol Addressing).
57. We’ve installed a new Windows-based DHCP server, however, the users do not seem to be getting DHCP leases off of it.
The server must be authorized first with the Active Directory.
58. How do you configure mandatory profiles?
Rename ntuser.dat to ntuser.man
59. What is Page File and Virtual Memory?
Page File Is Storage Space For The Virtual Memory, Page File Uses Hard Disk Space As a Memory To Provide Memory Allocation…
60. What is the difference between DNS in Windows 2000 & Windows 2003 Server?
We can rename or moved the domain name without rebuilding in windows 2003 server, but in windows 2000 server, we can’t do that.
61. Where are group policies stored?
62. What are GPT and GPC?
Group policy template and group policy container.
63. Where is GPT stored?
%System Root%SYSVOLsysvoldomain namePoliciesGUID
64. You change the group policies, and now the computer and user settings are in conflict. Which one has the highest priority?
The computer settings take priority.
65. What hidden shares exist on Windows Server 2003 installation?
Admin$, Drive$, IPC$, NETLOGON, print$ and SYSVOL.